It began with a simple tweet on Tuesday from a Good friend of Streetsblog who posts below the deal with JarekFA. The social media put up confirmed two cops inside a Dunkin Donuts location at Fourth and Atlantic avenues in Brooklyn and their SUV squad automobile parked exterior within the bike lane. It was simply your on a regular basis run-of-the-mill instance of the NYPD’s full disregard for cyclists, besides when JarekFA went inside to speak to the officers and located himself on the receiving finish of a condescending tirade from one of many cops. An NYPD spokesman later advised Streetsblog that the officers have been responding to a 911 name — which, judging from the video, appeared preposterous, given the officers’ leisurely tempo contained in the pastry store. We requested JarekFA, who bikes previous that nook most days, to specific his feelings:
My beef isn’t with anyone particular person officer, however reasonably, with your entire system by which her conduct must be seen as a symptom of such damaged system operating on inertia. If it was in her incentive to behave politely and take these items significantly, then she would’ve.
I am livid on the contempt @NYPDnews has in the direction of folks on bike. 4th ave and Atlantic is among the most harmful intersections within the metropolis and this officer primarily tells me to fuck off and gaslights me that she’s on some particular mission. Yah, getting donuts! pic.twitter.com/ORFdjkpyDy
— JarekFA ?????????? (@JarekFA) May 4, 2021
It’s only a failure by town, however actually the mayor, in so some ways:
- Failure by the Division of Transportation for negligently designing a motorcycle lane at an intersection they know will likely be handled as a loading zone (close to a bodega and Dunkin) by police and different drivers stopping for “only a second.”
- Failure by DOT and town by requiring police enforcement as a Imaginative and prescient Zero accomplice versus permitting design to do the enforcement.
- Failure by NYPD to not solely implement the lane, however to dam it in non-emergency settings, which inspires others to deal with it as a “fast cease” for the bodega, which they do.
- Failure by NYPD to deal with bike security as one thing critical; we frequently see bike patrols for policing protests (typically harshly) however they by no means use such bikes for patrolling bike lanes and defending folks on bike. The officer even insinuated that’s she’s continuously confronted by bike folks offended about her bike lane blocking!
- Failure by the NYPD to coach their officers to work together with the general public insofar her quick response to a well mannered honest public security inquiry is to instantly begin shouting:
a. There aren’t any incentives for her to care about my well-being and as a substitute the incentives are for her to be dishonest and hostile!
b. If she merely mentioned, “I perceive your concern. I apologize for inflicting the inconvenience and I’ll attempt to not do it sooner or later” then I’d’ve given a honest thanks!
- Failure by the NYPD to take primary accountability by being dishonest on what our eyes may plainly see (there was a five-minute hole between video 1 and a couple of as a result of I dropped my youngster off in school in between) and as a substitute used an excuse (responding to an incident) which truly passed off a minimum of 10 minutes after my interplay, in response to the Citizen App.
I simply need them to do their job correctly! Hand out tickets along with brochures! Take site visitors violence significantly! Don’t park in bike lanes exterior of emergencies! And be an actual accomplice in saving lives!
Why I’m this fashion? I take my youngster to highschool on my bike day by day.
- Bike: 12 minutes]
- Practice: 25 minutes
- Automotive: 30 minutes (principally because of parking)
- Bus (begin/finish inside two blocks of a one-seat B63 journey): 50 minutes.
I would like everybody to get the fabric time saving advantages from biking within the metropolis!
Comply with JarekFA on Twitter here.